Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Favorite Subject (High School)

I went to school in Huntersville at North Meck high school. I transfered there when i was a freshmen from lancaster PA. What was great about North was that it was a votech high school. It allowed me to take many different course to help figure out what i wanted to do when i graduated. But my favorite had to be my interior design class as well as my senior year i took architecture and started to learn CAD and these both helped me to get to the place that i am in today doing something that i love. The interior design class had three levels to it i ended up taking two of them because our teacher ended up leaving. She was a good teacher but it was more about the people that i had class with and they made it that much better. I loved coming to that class every day we always did something fun, everything from design boards, sowing, to making little models. It was just a all around great class that i always had fun in. A lot of the people that took that class are here in the IARC program which i think is great. I think another thing that made the class funny was that there was one boy in it that couldn't get into anything else and had to take the class to graduate and our teacher made him do all the activities no matter how ridicules they were. Much like IARC with not that many men in the major he added the comic relief that the class needed. 
My architecture class had a really amazing teacher Mr. Hern who had a really big heart for the community and i think that had a lot to do with why i am so community oriented and love to help out and give back whenever i can. He was very involved in the make a wish foundation and every year we would grant a wish by playing a powder puff game, seniors vs juniors. I helped head this up my senior year and it was one of the most rewarding accomplishments of my high school career. We not only met the child we were helping support but the family and see the impact that we had on there lives. He was a overall really great man who helped out in anyway he could. I also remember us collecting toys for tots and going to the hospital and passing them out one weekend to the kids that wouldn't get to go home for christmas. It was that kind of thing that made him not just a good teacher but a good leader and it affected everyone around him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment